Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Review: Clinique Superbalanced Liquid Foundation


I have been on the look out for a replacement foundation as my holy grail foundation from Averine(Satin Smooth Foundation) has been re-formulated and they do not make my shade anymore :(
Initally they had 3 shades and my skin matched the last one but the re-formulated ones only comes in 2 shades.

So I made a list of what I wanted in my foundation in the search for the next " holy grail"

1) No SPF - Most foundations be it liquid/powder/mineral has SPF for the convenience of their consumers. However I'm sceptical about sunscreens nowadays and prefer using my own sunscreen before putting on make up.
2) Skin-friendly Ingredients - My skin has undergone a completely new regime and I do not want to aggravate my skin therefore I wanted a foundation  that contains " skin-friendly" ingredients. ( I usually check up ingredients on http://www.ewg.org & http://www.cosdna.com)

Due to my new regime, my skin was really dry. Especially around my chin and cheeks area however, my T zone remained oily. Therefore it made searching for a new foundation, harder.

After doing my research online, I decided to go with Clinique Superbalanced Liquid Foundation. The foundation claims to be:
 " The smart makeup liquid foundation with adjustable, oil-free coverage provides moisture and absorbs oil when and where needed. Silky upon application."
Coverage: Moderate

 Also, Clinique is well-known for its skin-care line therefore I was more inclined to try their brand out. I purchased it at Sephora at a 10% discount that worked out to be around $48.


Superbalanced Makeup

Verdict

Let me start of by saying that I HATED this foundation. It did nothing for me. I was disappointed and could not justify paying for it so, I returned it. ( which explains why there are no pictures of the actual product/ or when worn)

Coverage- I applied the foundation with my fingers and there is zero coverage, even when built. The texture of it was quite thick so I would have expected it to provide at least abit of coverage. I have hyper-pigmentation on my cheeks and it did nothing to cover it. However it did help to slightly even out my skin tone. But that can be easily done with a tinted moisturizer.

Claims- I still had some hope that it would at least keep my oil at bay and to not accentuate my dry spots. However, it proved me wrong. My dry skin looked a little scaly when examined under direct sunlight. My nose was not kept matte and I had to blot it 3-4 hours later in the day.

Packaging- The foundation came in a glass bottle and it did not have a pump. Therefore it made it messy and unsanitary when using.

Overall rating:1/5 stars
I think I'm being too nice here lol. But I've read reviews online and it worked for some people. It is also rated 3.5/5 stars on MakeupAlley. At least I got to return it! YAY

Who would I recommend to:
People who have relatively good skin. However I'm pretty sure that there are better foundations out there that does the same and with a friendly price tag. If you are curious about this product I would say why not. However make sure that you are able to return it if all else fails :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi, which brand of foundation are you using now in replacement to averine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im using averine smoothing compact. Sadly everywhere is out of stock in singapore. I desperately need to find a replacement for this brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im using averine smoothing compact. Sadly everywhere is out of stock in singapore. I desperately need to find a replacement for this brand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, which brand of foundation are you using now in replacement to averine?

    ReplyDelete